Winter commonly dries out the skin. Many people experience the dryness, itchy, and ashy skin with the cold dry air. To help you combat the effects of winter, we at Open Door Med Spa would like to offer some tips on how you can combat the impact of winter on your skin.
How to Best Take Care of Dry Skin in Winter
1) Maximize moisture with a humidifier. Add moisture to dry winter air by using a humidifier in your home or office will, this helps the skin stay hydrated.
2) Lower the Thermostat. Everyone cranks up the heat when it gets chilly outside. Unfortunately, your central heat contributes to dry skin. To maintain healthy skin set the thermostat at 68°F to 72°F.
3) Limit time in the shower and reduce temperature. Though long, steamy showers are tempting, with a 5- to 10-minute lukewarm shower or bath, is recommended. If the water causes your skin to turn red, it’s too hot. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wash your hands in cooler water appears to be as effective at removing germs as warm water and is less irritating to skin.
4) Use gentle face cleansers. Itchy, dry skin can worsen with the wrong soap. Regular bar soaps may contain irritating ingredients and fragrances for example. Use moisturizing cleanser or gel that is fragrance-free. Limit your lathering to necessary areas, to prevent winter skin problems by using less soap overall.
5) Modify your facial skin-care regimen. Select cream-based cleansers, and apply toners and astringents sparingly, if at all. Your skin can be furthered dried out since many astringents contain alcohol. When your skin is dry and itchy, avoid using products that contain alcohol and fragrances. Use a richer moisturizer on your face at night. Make sure to moisturize your lips as well.
6) Moisturize skin often. After washing up, moisturize to maintain healthy skin. humid climates are better with lotions, and dry weather calls for a cream or ointment. Constant washing will cause the hands to take a beating so be sure to apply a hand cream.
7) Use sunscreen. Winter still has sun light, and many people think that is safe to go without sunscreen. Applying sunscreen in the harsh winter weather is just as important as it is in the summer. don’t be fooled by darker, dreary days in winter, the sun’s harmful UV rays can permeate clouds and still cause damage. With an SPF of 15 or higher to all exposed areas of your body, before you go outside, apply a moisturizing, broad-spectrum sunscreen.
8) Stay hydrated. Foods or supplements that contain omega-3 or omega-6 fatty acids, such as fish oil and flaxseed oil, can sometimes cause the skin to dry. It is equally important to help the skin moisturize from the outside as it is in the inside. Be sure to have a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water.
Aesthetics & Skin Rejuvenation Services & More in Mansfield, Texas (Just Minutes away from Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, De Soto, Red Oak, Midlothian, Waxahatchie, Cleburne & Benbrook, Texas)
In addition to taking care of your skin, the professionals of Open Door Med Spa offers some remarkable skin rejuvenation services and quality skin care products to help moisturize your skin and keep it healthy and hydrated. Contact us to book your next appointment today!