Skin is commonly dried out by the winter. As a result, with the cold dry air, quite a few people experience the dryness, itchy, and ashy skin. With this in mind, we at Open Door Med Spa would like to offer some tips on how you can help your skin due to the winter.
Winter Skin Care Routine at Home
1) Use a Humidifier to Maximize Moisture in the Air. To help maintain hydrated skin, use a humidifier in your home or office to add some moisture to dry winter air.
2) Adjust the Thermostat. When it gets chilly outside, people tend to crank up the heat. Your central heat contributes to dry skin, unfortunately. Set the thermostat at 68°F to 72°F to maintain healthy skin.
3) Reduce Temperature and Time in the Shower. It is recommended to only take a 5- to 10-minute lukewarm shower or bath, though long, steamy showers are tempting. If your skin becomes red after a shower, the water is too hot. Washing your hands in cooler water appears to be as effective at removing germs as warm water and is less irritating to skin, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
4) Invest in Gentle Cleansers. The wrong soap can make itchy, dry skin worse. For example, standard bar soaps may contain irritating ingredients and fragrances. Instead, use a fragrance-free moisturizing cleanser or gel. Also, to prevent winter skin problems by using less soap overall, limit your lathering to necessary areas.
5) Facial Skin-Care Regimen Modification. Apply toners and astringents sparingly, if at all, and invest in cream-based cleansers. Since many astringents contain alcohol, your skin can be furthered dried out. Make sure to avoid using products that contain alcohol and fragrances when your skin is dry and itchy. Use a richer moisturizer on your face at night as well as a lip moisturizer.
6) Frequently Moisturize. Always moisturize to maintain healthy skin, especially after washing up. dry weather calls for a cream or ointment and humid climates are better with lotions. Constant washing will cause the hands to take a beating so be sure to apply a hand cream.
7) Still Use Sunscreen. Many people think that is safe to go without sunscreen, but winter still has sunlight. Being just as important as it is in the summer, sunscreen during the harsh winter weather is necessary. The sun’s harmful UV rays can permeate clouds and still cause damage, so don’t be fooled by darker, dreary days in winter. Before you go outside, apply a moisturizing, broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher to all exposed areas of your body. Y33
8) Keep Hydrated. The cause of the skin to be dry can come from foods or supplements that contain omega-3 or omega-6 fatty acids, such as fish oil and flaxseed oil. It is equally important to help the skin moisturize from the outside as it is in the inside. Have a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water.
SkinCeuticals Skin Care Products, Treatments & More in Mansfield, Texas (Just Minutes away from Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, De Soto, Red Oak, Midlothian, Waxahachie, Cleburne & Benbrook, Texas)
The professionals of Open Door Med Spa offers some remarkable services to help moisturize your skin and keep it healthy and hydrated in conjunction with your efforts. Call us to schedule your next appointment today!