We live in a world where masks are quickly becoming a constant part of our lives. While they may be helping protect people against the spread of COVID-19, there are other issues they are creating, including acne or maskne. This is a real struggle for many people. That’s why Open Door Med Spa is here; to share some tips to help people who are struggling with this particular problem.
How Do Face Masks Cause Acne & Skin Damage?
Now that most of society is wearing face masks, the irritation and problems for skin are not only a struggle for healthcare workers. Here are the ways that masks cause skin issues:
– Skin Irritation: With a mask against your skin for long periods of time, it will start to absorb the natural oils found on your skin. For many people, this leaves their skin feeling dry and sensitive. Also, detergents used to clean the masks can cause irritation as well. If you have a condition like psoriasis or rosacea, this can cause flare ups.
– Friction Burn to Skin: Anytime a material is constantly rubbed against your skin, it can create a rug burn affect. If this goes on for long enough because of a tight fitting mask, it can cause your skin to breakdown.
– Clogged Pores Due to Occlusion: When pores are clogged due to mask wearing, it can lead to pimples and acne. Add in your breath, and now you have a moist environment that is perfect for yeast and bacterial growth that affects the hair follicles.
Tips to Avoid Maskne
Following are the best tips to follow to avoid maskne:
– Wash Face: Using a gentle cleanser, make sure your face is clean before putting on a mask. You should avoid rubbing and scrubbing your skin through this process and use lukewarm water rather than hot water to avoid irritation.
– Moisturize Skin: If you struggle with dry skin due to mask wearing, it is more important than ever to use a gentle moisturizer on your face. Choose one that is both fragrance and oil free.
– No Makeup: There is no need to wear makeup underneath your mask. This can lead to further occlusion and breakouts.
– Clean Face Masks in Fragrance Free Laundry Detergent: Dirt and oil from your skin and mouth will start to accumulate on your face mask. Make sure you have more than one mask that you can constantly rotate as you are cleaning your masks to avoid breakouts. The perfumes and other chemicals found in many detergents can make your skin irritated. Stick to fragrance free laundry detergent to minimize this risk.
SkinCeuticals Products, Skin Treatments & More in Mansfield, Texas (Just Minutes away from Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, De Soto, Red Oak, Midlothian, Waxahatchie, Cleburne & Benbrook, Texas)
If you are struggling with acne due to wearing masks and would like professional help in dealing with it, you can count on the professionals at Open Door Med Spa to help. We offer a number of aesthetics and skin rejuvenation services that will get your skin back to its healthy self. And we can recommend the best SkinCeutical cleaners, moisturizers and other skin care products. Call us today!