With smart phones having maps, music, fitness tracking, cameras, texting, game apps, and other features, many people are constantly looking down. With the constant looking down many people are developing horizontal neck lines. Today, we at Open Door Med Spa would like to discuss these horizontal neck lines.
Why Do I Have Lines on My Neck?
Horizontal neck lines are caused by the same conditions that cause other types of wrinkles, in general. When it comes to proper skincare, many of us are guilty of overlooking the neck, even among avid skin care consumers that diligently treat their skin. Below are the most common causes to horizontal neck lines.
1) Sun Damage – The UV rays are blocked wherever sunscreen is applied. The formation of horizontal lines, wrinkles and sagging skin stems from failing to slather sunscreen on the neck results in a breakdown of the collagen and elastin.
2) Aging Genetics – You may be prone to developing horizontal neck lines at an early age if you come from a line of people who wrinkle early or easily.
3) Dehydrated Skin – Dehydrated skin produces wrinkles simple. Horizontal neck lines may set in earlier and be more pronounced if you’re not prioritizing neck moisturization the way you do your face.
4) Thin Skin – Neck skin doesn’t have the healing capacity of the skin on other parts of the body, since the skin is thinner in the neck area.
5) Repetitive Actions – Repetitive motions of the neck can also cause horizontal neck lines, just as repeated facial expressions cause wrinkles on the face. Your phone becomes part of the problem with this.
How Do I Get Rid of Horizontal Lines on My Neck?
Prevention is the best approach to avoiding horizontal neck lines. Do so by improving your posture, apply sunscreen to your exposed skin, including neck, and include your neck in your facial skin care regiment.
Minor Neck Lines. To help combat sun damage, boost collagen, and firm up the skin on your neck before the lines set in, serums and other products containing retinoids, antioxidants, and skin-firming ingredients are the best. Additionally, microneedling treatments can help stimulate the production of collagen and improves skin tone, texture, elasticity and firmness. Microneedling can help eliminate the appearance of horizontal neck bands when treating the neck.
Deep Neck Lines. Hyaluronic acid fillers do a remarkable job of minimizing their appearance when it comes to the deeper horizontal neck lines. An experienced practitioner will opt for the softer, more supple fillers to avoid plumping the area too much while there are a number of different dermal fillers to choose from. For instance, Open Door Med Spa uses Juvéderm® that is typically used to fill in lip lines and wrinkles. It works subtly and beautifully, providing natural-looking results that last up to a year when used to treat horizontal neck lines. There are other Juvéderm products that may be more appropriate, depending on each individual’s needs. It does require the skill, precision, and artistic eye of an experienced injector who understands how to fine-tune the procedure to create the most beautiful results, although the actual injection involved with dermal fillers is a simple procedure.